Parents Follow Directions
Thomas knows that following directions is important. Here are some activities that you and your child can do together to learn how to follow directions.
Make a Train
Decorate three or four small rectangular boxes (individual-sized cereal boxes work well) to look like cars on a train. Two boxes may need to be glued together to form the engine. Attach the train cars to each other with string or thread adding a longer length of string to pull the engine. Friends can take turns being the engineer and pulling the train.
Use materials such as disposable foam trays and boxes, craft sticks, straws and milk cartons to make a boat. You can make a very simple boat by placing a small ball of craft clay in the middle of a disposable foam tray. Then insert a craft stick or straw into the clay as a mast. Next attach a triangular sail made of construction paper to the mast. Test the sailboat in the bath or small wading pool.
Follow a Recipe
Explain the importance of following directions by helping your child follow a recipe to make this tasty fruit salad:
- 2 apples, cut into bite-size pieces (leave the skin on for color; remove the core)
- 3 oranges, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 fresh pineapple, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup orange juice (canned or frozen)
- Mix all bite-size pieces of fruit in a large bowl. Add orange juice and refrigerate. Children will enjoy eating this healthy treat!
- If possible, write out the recipe on a piece of poster board or recipe card. Follow the directions while preparing the fruit salad.
"Thomas, May I?"
This is a fun game to play and it will help children understand how to follow the rules of a game. Stand facing your child(ren) about 20 feet away. “Thomas” calls out moves such as, "You may take three big steps" or “four baby steps.” The child must ask, “Thomas, may I?” and receive a response of “Yes, you may” before moving. The child who reaches “Thomas” first then becomes “Thomas” for the next game.